Eating with braces
During treatment with braces, you can still eat most of your favourite foods – but some foods should be avoided to prevent damage to your braces. If your braces break or dislodge from your teeth, it can significantly set back your treatment time.
What foods should I avoid with braces?
While wearing fixed braces, here are some foods you should avoid:
- Sticky foods - like toffees and boiled sweets
- Hard fruits and vegetables - apples, carrots, etc. (but you can eat them if you cut them into bite-size pieces)
- Chewing gum
- Crunchy foods - ice cubes, nuts, crusty sandwiches, pizza crusts (you can eat sandwiches and pizza when cut into bite-size pieces)
- Fizzy drinks - which can cause staining around your brackets
- Sugary foods and drinks - which can cause tooth decay during treatment
You should also avoid chewing on fingernails or pen caps during treatment, as this can damage or break your appliance.
Still have questions?
The list of foods above is not exhaustive, so if you have more questions about what you can eat with braces our team would be happy to help. If you do experience a breakage or emergency, please reach out to our team as soon as possible.Contact us