Looking after your retainers
After we remove your orthodontic appliance and unveil your beautiful new smile, the most important phase of orthodontic treatment is just beginning. During the retention phase, we will give you a custom retainer to help you keep your new smile for years to come.
Why is it important to wear a retainer?
If you don’t wear a retainer after treatment, your teeth will want to shift back toward their original positions. In order to keep your newly aligned smile, it’s important to follow the instructions of your Specialist Orthodontist carefully.
You may be asked to wear your retainer full-time at first. After that, you may be able to move to night-time only wear. You may experience some tenderness the first few days after fitting your retainer, but this is normal and your teeth will quickly adjust.
If you experience irritation at your gum line, please contact our practice so we can make small adjustments to your retainer.
Types of retainers we offer
At Guildford Orthodontics, we offer two types of retainers: fixed retainers and removable retainers.
Fixed retainers are thin metal wires that are permanently fixed behind your teeth at the gum line. You should pay extra attention to cleaning around the wire if you have a fixed retainer.
Removable retainers look a bit like clear aligners. They slot over your top and bottom teeth, and you can take them out for meals.
Our top tips for proper retainer care
Removable retainers require a bit more care and consideration. To make sure your retainers last you for years, you should:
- Remove your retainers for meals and brushing & flossing
- Always put your retainers in their case when you remove them
- Never put your retainers in a napkin (they are way too easy to throw away!)
- Clean your teeth before putting your retainers back in
- Brush your retainer with a toothbrush and warm water when you clean your teeth
- Use disclosing tablets and mouthwash as recommended
- Soak your retainer in a solution such as Retainerbrite when you need to remove buildup
- Keep your retainer away from hot surfaces, hot water, washing machines, etc.
- Don’t let your pets get at your retainer – or you won’t have one anymore!
- Let our team know immediately if your retainer is lost or damaged
Keep your stunning smile for life
If you have questions about proper retainer care or have lost your retainer, please contact our team. If you haven’t started treatment yet, book your free consultation in Guildford to begin.Contact us